About the supergirl

My photo
Henderson/Las Vegas, NV, from Oahu, HI, United States
Happy Wife to a hubby with many hobbies. Full time working Mom of two sons and a daughter. Loves to volunteer in the community, loves to travel to many places with the family, loves to cook, bake, enjoys stock car racing, collecting antiques, crafting, music and taking pictures. Neat Freak. Loves her friends and family. Born and Raised in Hawaii.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Valentine's Day craftiness

I have not been on Pinterest in months. Yet, every time I go to a craft store, ideas flow and I want to make EVERYTHING. It's a cycle-I end up in a craft store when a Holiday is nearing, making everything that more lustful and beautiful. Glittery craft paper? 10 times cuter near a Holiday like Valentine's Day!

Back in December, I was gifted with a gift card from some of my favorite Mommy friends-to Michaels. I finally cashed in, and ended up with SO many items that were on sale.

Since Valentine's Day is approaching, the lure of red sparkle, hearts and romance reeled me in. Here are a few of the projects I've been working on, this week and last.

Right now, I'm a sucker for anything burlap. I've been obsessed with burlap banners, and decided to try my hand at making my own for Valentine's Day. I started with the idea of square pieces (aside from upside down triangles like pennant banners), and cut them to the desired size. The burlap I purchased came in a 5 foot roll. I also got a roll of twine. Both items were $2.99 at Michael's.

I also used a set of stencils that I had purchased on sale at Michael's for $3.99. The acrylic paint was out of my paint collection, and purchased for $0.69.

Using a flat sponge brush, I applied the acrylic paint to the area where the stenciled letter was.

Once all of the letters were complete, I wanted a heart painted, to separate the two words in the phrase that I chose: "Be Mine". I did not have a heart stencil, so using paper, I made a heart stencil. I then made holes in each of the burlap letters- one on each top end, to thread the twine. (I used a plastic chopstick to make the hole as I wanted a hole smaller than a hole puncher would have made).

Once the letters dried, I hung my burlap banner.

I've also been into vinyl or sticker sayings and themes on picture frames. I experimented first this past Thanksgiving, and liked the outcome so much that I then made some for Christmas, and now Valentine's Day.

First, you choose what size you want to make. I always use an 8x10 picture frame, and 8x10 scrapbook paper. I chose a bright red glitter piece of scrapbook paper, on sale for $0.79. While in the scrapbook aisle, I also picked up a sticker embellishment to use instead of vinyl. Lastly, I gathered a photo frame that I had bought at the 99 cent store back in Thanksgiving when I first started making these photo frame Holiday decor pieces.

Assembly is really easy. Place your scrapbook paper inside the frame. Close the frame, center your sticker embellishments to the glass of the frame, then apply. **I've always placed my sticker choices outside of the frame, but you could also apply them to the scrapbook paper and place into the frame.

All finished! Not the best photo, the glare of everything in my dining room was driving me nuts =)

Another thing I've been loving for a few years has been any surface covered in chalkboard paint. In our previous home, we made a huge chalkboard wall, as we did in our current home. We're in the middle of moving to a new home, and plan to make a chalkboard wall there as well. In the meantime while we focus on getting the house together, I wanted some kind of chalkboard surface to hold me over. Michael's had wood boards in different shapes that were perfect for chalkboard paint! Also purchased: $6.99 chalkboard spray paint in Black, and a photo frame stand/decorative plate stand for $3.99. Wood board was $3.00

Here is when I was applying a generous first coat of paint. Be cautious of the over spray. (yes, that is an old gift bag I'm using).

I followed the directions per the spray paint, and let set for 24 hours. Now, the chalkboard wood piece is ready to be displayed in my new kitchen! The possibilities are endless:

cute holiday sayings such as this one....

or to display the menu for the day.
What I also plan on using this for: special menus for parties, Happy Birthday messages, and the recipe of a specialty drink (such as Sunday brunch Sangria).

Having a daughter, I always enjoy making hair clips for her. I taught her how to make hair clips as well, using ribbon and a low temp hot glue gun. Whenever I see cute embellishments somewhere, I buy them and save them until I have the want to make hair clips. Combined, my daughter and I have made over 100 hair clips and things from dinosaurs, monsters, monkeys, hearts, cupcakes, skulls, rainbows, polka dots, hello kitty, ice cream cones, and of course, Holiday clips. I've bought ribbon on Ebay ($5.00 for a lot of various patterned and colored ribbon), then when they're on sale at Michaels. Sometimes you can even find the perfect ribbon size in the dollar section at Target. Embellishments can be found everywhere, but I prefer searching for them on Etsy and the scrapbook aisle at any craft store.

My latest embellishment purchase was from Michaels. I'm really loving the felt shapes, and thought cupcakes and hearts were a good Valentines Day theme

A few of the clips I made this week.

Since we're in the middle of a move, most of my Holiday decor is packed away and in the garage (and alll around my house in boxes that are giving me anxiety!), I managed to find a few Valentines Day decor items that I had missed while packing. I needed SOME kind of brightening up =)

Wood blocks and kisses sign, both from the Target $3 spot. Light pink and dark pink ornaments, pack of 12 on clearance from Christmas at Target for $1. Red frame was repurposed for Valentines Day, it usually holds my Christmas Advent calendar. I stored the advent cards and cut out pink construction paper to hang on mini clothespins instead

..and what is a holiday without cupcakes? =)

No comments: